Director of Development
About the Jack Miller Center:
The Jack Miller Center (JMC) is a non-partisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to promoting education in America’s founding principles and history, an education vital to thoughtful and engaged citizenship. We work to advance the teaching and study of America’s history, its political and economic institutions and the central principles, ideas and issues arising from the American and Western traditions, all of which continue to animate our national life. We support professors and educators through programs, resources, fellowships and more to help them teach our nation’s students.
The JMC is seeking a senior-level development professional with demonstrated success in leading a fundraising program. The Director of Development will be responsible for implementing a comprehensive and results-oriented development plan, including strategies for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting annual gifts, major gifts, endowment gifts, and planned gifts. The Director will guide the coordinated efforts of the development team, currently comprised of a Director of Stewardship and Development Associate.
Reports to: JMC President.
Work Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA, a suburb just outside of Philadelphia.
• Design and implement a comprehensive development plan; set numeric goals; coordinate plan with academic calendar, Board calendar, and communications plan
• Refine donor acquisition strategy to grow JMC donor base and cultivate new prospects
• Report to the JMC Board twice annually on fundraising progress and answer questions
Cultivation and Solicitation
• Develop positive working relationships with JMC Board, major donors, and foundation officers
• Cultivate and solicit annual, planned, and endowment gifts for JMC’s operations, core programs, and special projects through one-on-one meetings or in conjunction with senior staff
• Execute a plan to effectively communicate the JMC mission and impact to donors and prospects
• Contribute to the growth of a culture of philanthropy at JMC
• Engage members of the academic team in development efforts
• Guide the work and professional development of the development team
• Commitment to the mission of the Jack Miller Center
• Proven track record of fundraising success, particularly in securing major gifts and engaging a community of motivated supporters
• Ten or more years professional experience in nonprofit fundraising in roles of increasing responsibility; management experience preferred
• Ability to travel out of state (up to 50%); willingness to work some evenings and weekends as needed
• Friendly and engaging personality; strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to actively listen to donors and communicate how our efforts might fit within their philanthropic goals
• Demonstrated leadership abilities; must effectively manage a team of experienced professionals
• Collaborative team-player with the ability to successfully engage with colleagues across the organization
• Flexibility and adaptability to changing work environments
• Experience with contact management systems a plus, particularly Salesforce
The Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401k plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off, smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental and life insurance.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
• A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for JMC’s mission, and your salary requirements
• Three professional references
Please include “Director of Development, JMC– Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may view the post on the Talent Market website here.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.